EXERCISE IS MEDICINE WITH TRACTIVITY
Better patient outcomes, improved quality of service, increased cost savings
EXERCISE IS MEDICINE FOR MOST CONDITIONS
Diabetes is a condition of regular above average blood sugar levels attributed to insufficient insulin production (Type 1) or insulin resistance (Type 2). Diabetes is typically the result of obesity, poor diet or lack of exercise leading to the metabolic syndrome.
- Diabetes affects the masses: Approximately 50% of Americans have diabetes or pre-diabetes, an at-risk condition where a person already has recurrent above average blood sugar levels.
- Diabetes is expensive: By adding up the direct costs of health care resources, drugs and devices, and the indirect costs due to loss of productivity, Diabetes cost are estimated at $245 Billion (2012).
- Diabetes is menacing: Circulatory problems due to damaged blood vessels, reduced eye and reduced kidney function and poor healing of wounds and soft tissue infections are just some of the devastating effects of diabetes.
The PROFILE of the POPULATION OF THE US by age and by weight shows an ALARMING SITUATION!
SKILLED NURSING FACILITIES, GERIATRICS AND AT-HOME CARE FOR THE ELDERLY
With the aging population and the increases in life expectancy, the substantial and imminent impact on the health care system is looming. Condition prevention strategies, with a focus on increased activity for geriatric care and At-home care of the elderly are essential.
- Two thirds of adults over the age of 60 sit for more than 8.5 hours of their time awake and out of bed.
- The aging process results in myocyte loss with increases in fibroblasts and collagen deposits in the heart. Elastin loss and hypertrophy of smooth muscle cells also cause stiffening and thickening of arterial walls.
- Cognitive impairment, a faster decline in cognitive function than normal aging, but not considered dementia affects about 15% of seniors.
- Elderly have higher risk of falling due a variety of risk factors including depression, visual impairment, gait and balance disorders, dizziness, cognitive impairment, polypharmacy, psychotropic medications, etc.
Regular moderate Aerobic Activity improves age related diastolic function and diastolic and systolic exercise reserve.
Activity, such as walking for the elderly has been shown to improve memory, attention and processing speed and overall cognitive function.
Activity monitoring is a proven methodology for remote mobility monitoring of at-home elderly for fall detection or a sudden change in activity behavior.
Early ambulation in ICU settings improved patient outcomes and resulted in costs savings of $1,300 per patient.
Length of Stay reductions of 22% due to accelerated rehabilitation were found during the same John's Hopkins ICU study ICU (22%), which lead to cost savings and improved patient outcomes and loyalty
Ambulation leads to reduction in complications (hospital syndrome, functional decline, pressure ulcers, deep vein Thrombosis, paralytic ileus, stroke) and to improved patient outcomes and cost saving
Patient satisfaction scores rise, as a result of improved patient outcomes, as patients feel empowered and more independent.
CHRONIC DISEASE MANAGEMENT
- Heart disease. Regular exercise can help improve your heart health. Recent studies have shown that interval training is often tolerated well in people with heart disease, and it can produce significant benefits.
- Asthma. Often, exercise can help control the frequency and severity of asthma attacks.
- Back pain. Regular low-impact aerobic activities can increase strength and endurance in your back and improve muscle function. Abdominal and back muscle exercises (core-strengthening exercises) may help reduce symptoms by strengthening the muscles around your spine.
- Arthritis. Exercise can reduce pain, help maintain muscle strength in affected joints and reduce joint stiffness. A structured physical activity program is one of the most important things you can do to help manage diabetes and other health conditions and improve health.
The goal should be to complete at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity walking each week (e.g. 30 minutes, five days a week). Ask your doctor or a member of your health-care team for an exercise prescription that is right for you.
TRACTIVITY FOR HEALTH CARE
Unlike consumer activity monitoring systems, TRACTIVITY is optimized for the needs of the health care professional who cares for patients. The THRIVE CIRCLE APP and DASHBOARDS enable the health care professional to manage the overall activity of the entire ward, or skilled nursing facility or elderly at home. The Tractivity MD button wearables provide medical grade accuracy, are cost effective affordables, simple to use, rugged and the data is HIPAA compliant, safe and secure, ideal for large scale deployments.
PRE AND POST OPERATION
Regular activity programs for bariatric surgery patients and obese individuals has demonstrated the following physical and mental health benefits:
- Increased life expectancy
- Reduced abdominal fat
- Stronger heart, muscles, bones and lungs
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced triglycerides
- Increased good cholesterol and reduce bad cholesterol
- Improved blood sugar control
- Improved insulin control
- Reduced risk of cancer
- More energy
- Improved balance
- Improved appearance
- Improved motivation and mental “ sharpness ”
- Improved libido
Activity and recovery from virtually any orthopedic surgery are intimately related. Becoming more active addresses four important elements of regained physical function:
- balance, and
Some activities may work multiple areas. For example, walking improves endurance, muscle strength and balance. Monitoring progress is important.
- MOVE - Prescribe exercise as medicine for your patients.
- TRACK - Monitor individual compliance against prescription dosage, hourly, daily, weekly or as often as your patient needs.
- THRIVE - Intervene to increase activity, change prescription, improve patient outcome, improve quality of service and reduce costs.
MEDICAL TRACTIVITY BUTTONS
The TRACTIVITY MD Button is approved for medical applications requiring high accuracy across various gaits, shuffle detection, pace measurement and filtering of false alarms. (link to KP published paper)
As soon as the TRACTIVITY MD Button is attached, activity data is automatically recorded in the button memory with a capacity for several months. Periodically, the patient's data is wirelessly uploaded to the TRACTIVITY CLOUD for permanent storage, using the TRACTIVITY THRIVE APP on any mobile smartphone, Tablet or PC , MAC or Workstation on Wheels (WOW).
TRACTIVITY THRIVE DASHBOARD - MEDICAL
The THRIVE DASHBOARD provides a web portal access to the massive database of patient activity data through any popular browser such as Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox. The circle Dashboard are includes many medical features for optimal workflow integration into a hospital, skilled nursing facility or other professional care institution.
TRACTIVITY - GET YOUR PATIENTS MOVING!